Monday, October 22, 2007

The Blender Pancakes Recipe

Here's the recipe - it works for Waffles or Pancakes, she says, but I've only made pancakes:

Place in blender; blend on high for 3 minutes -
1 3/4 c buttermilk (I didn't have buttermilk and added a bit of apple cider vinegar to not quite the amount of milk)
2 T olive oil 1 t vanilla extract
1 1/2 c brown rice or uncooked rolled oats (I actually doubled the recipe and used half and half)

Put lid on blender, let it stand overnight (this allows for better assimilation of the nutrients in the grain)

When you're ready to cook them, add 1 egg and reblend for 1 minute.

Last, add the leavening ingredients and blend briefly.
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 t salt (I used 1t for my double batch)
She recommends sifting these through a strainer to break up lumps. I added them to a 1/4 c milk because I felt more comfortable knowing they would be dissolved, and because... well, it's fun! :-)

Then you're ready to go!

She mentions lots of other grains you can use - millet, kamut, spelt, wheat, buckwheat, barley (hulled, not pearled), corn (dry whole corn), and quinoa. I think it will be fun to experiment.

If you try them, let me know what you think!

No comments: