Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Changing Shapes

In the search for my maternity clothes, hubby and I found a box last night that had my old "skinny" clothes in it... clothes from back in the days when I thought I was chubby, lol. I'd given away most of my clothes from back then, but these were things that I just couldn't let go.

Well, today I finally put most of the rest of them in a bag to take to Agape House (a resale shop close by that supports a ministry to unwed mothers). Other things I had to just go ahead and toss.

So all this got me thinking...

I remember my midwife chuckling during a prenatal with my first baby. When I asked her why, she said, "You know, your tummy's never going to be this tight again." I was, in my youthful, idealogical state, slightly offended by such an assumption.

Well, several years ago, before I got pregnant with our 6th baby, I got back down to the weight I was when we got married. Yay for me!! Out came the skinny clothes I'd been hanging on to! And guess what? They didn't fit. At first, I was sooo dissapointed. Then I realized something...

No matter how well-conditioned I am, my body is not going to return to the shape that it was before having (as of this coming summer) 7 bundles of Blessing. And you know what? That's okay! What matters is that I do my best to take care of my body, because it is the temple of the Lord. In many ways, my body, though different, is in much better condition than it was before I had children. I want to strive to continue to improve my physical condition.

Similarly, the circumstances that we go through in life change our shape, whether it be our physical shape, our spiritual shape, our emotional shape, whatever. It's okay that we might not ever be the same. God wants to use all the circumstances in our lives to change our shape to be more like Christ.

What about the things that hurt and scar us? Is the goal to be restored to where we were before the hurtful circumstances entered our lives? I don't think so... I think the goal is to not waste the pain, but rather to let the Lord use our circumstances to mold and shape us into the image of Christ.

So if you look back on who you were and what you looked like 10 or 20 years ago and don't like the differences you see, maybe you could reconsider your perspective. If the changes don't fit with HIS goals for you, He can still salvage them and use them for your good and His glory.

Isn't God good?!?

No comments: