Friday, January 01, 2010

New Years Thoughts

Two hymns are prominent in my mind as I contemplate the new year:
He Leadeth Me - a comfort to know Who is leading me, and an encouragment to be a "faithful follower."
And May the Mind of Christ my Savior - what a summation of goals for not only the year, but for life (thanks, Lynn, for posting this one last new year's; it's been with me through the year).

He Leadeth Me
by Joseph H. Gilmore, 1862

He leadeth me, O blessèd thought!
O words with heav’nly comfort fraught!... See More
Whate’er I do, where’er I be
Still ’tis God’s hand that leadeth me.

He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

Sometimes mid scenes of deepest gloom,
Sometimes where Eden’s bowers bloom,
By waters still, over troubled sea,
Still ’tis His hand that leadeth me.

Lord, I would place my hand in Thine,
Nor ever murmur nor repine;
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since ’tis my God that leadeth me.

And when my task on earth is done,
When by Thy grace the vict’ry’s won,
E’en death’s cold wave I will not flee,
Since God through Jordan leadeth me.




May the Mind of Christ, My Savior
by Kate B. Wilkinson

May the mind of Christ, my Savior,
Live in me from day to day,
By His love and power controlling
All I do and say.

May the Word of God dwell richly
In my heart from hour to hour,
So that all may see I triumph
Only through His power.

May the peace of God my Father
Rule my life in everything,
That I may be calm to comfort
Sick and sorrowing.

May the love of Jesus fill me
As the waters fill the sea;
Him exalting, self abasing,
This is victory.

May I run the race before me,
Strong and brave to face the foe,
Looking only unto Jesus
As I onward go.

May His beauty rest upon me,
As I seek the lost to win,
And may they forget the channel,
Seeing only Him.


2 comments:

Genene said...

Thank you, thank you,thank you! Wonderful reminders of our destiny in Christ and how we should live to fulfill it.Papa says " may the Lord use us all this year for His glory:.

Laurie said...

Amen! I love both of these songs!

"May I run the race before me,
Strong and brave to face the foe,
Looking only unto Jesus
As I onward go."

It's my prayer, especially now.
Sometimes Satan is the foe.
Often my flesh is the foe.
The foes weaken resolve to finish the race, but when eyes are on the Finisher and Perfecter of our faith, leaving the race (even considering it)is unthinkable! This is mercy and grace!