Friday, September 21, 2007

The Green Salve Project... explained

I was cruel enough to post a picture last week on my photo blog with the title "The Green Salve Project" and then not explain a thing about it. And I know that you, my faithful 3 or 4 readers, have just been expiring from curiousity about that green salve business. So, hear I am to sate your wonder by giving you the scoop.

Last Christmas, one of the families at our chapel gave away 2 oz jars Green Salve. My friend Sue and I quickly realized it was fabulous stuff, and this spring as our 2 oz jars began to run out, we decided we had to make some ourselves. It's great for so many things! Infected owies, preventing infected owies, bug bites, rashes, acne, burns, etc, etc. I don't think we've found the end of the uses for it.

Green salve has plantain, comfrey leaf and root, red clover blossoms, vitamin E, tea tree oil, and goldenseal powder, in a base of olive oil and beeswax. If you look up all those herbs separately, you'll see why it's great for such a variety of uses.

So last Wednesday, after months of talking about it, Sue and I finally got to make our first batch of Green Salve. And it worked! We were like little girls when we got done - so excited that we'd actually done it. :-)

We got about 85 ounces out of our double batch, which should last a long time! We're planning on making some for Christmas gifts, too. Isn't it lovely?


And now, to fill the day's cuteness quota, I bring you a picture of the two adorable babies in the background:


That's Grace and Stephen. The arranged marriage contracts are still being negotiated. ;-) Just kidding, but she sure is a cutie, and she's growing up with a terrific example of a mom who is a wonderful helpmeet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A. How fun your day sounded and what a great thing to make. I hope I'm on your Christmas list.

2. The are simply adorable together!